Frizzy hair is not your friend. It’s dry, fuzzy, and gives you an unkempt appearance even if it looks like you just showered. At times, styling can be impossible because of the stubborn volume that seems to take over your head. If this sounds like you, then don’t worry! We’ve put together a list of tips to help combat frizz and give you shiny, smooth locks.
What is Frizzy hair?
Frizzy hair refers to dry, coarse, or curly strands that appear unruly and difficult to control. It may be accompanied by split ends, which can make the problem even more noticeable. Frizzy hair is basically hair that has way too much volume. Frizzy hair is usually caused by weather conditions among other things. Some people have naturally frizzy hair, so it’s difficult to tame their manes since they are born with lots of volume. On the other hand, some people may have experienced frizz after a bad haircut or hair treatment.
How to prevent and deal with frizzy hair?
1. Start a treatment plan
One of the biggest mistakes that people make when dealing with frizzy hair is neglecting to take proper care of it. In order to properly treat your hair and reduce the appearance of frizz, you should start by setting up a treatment plan. This could be anything from taking biotin supplements to simply starting a regimented conditioning schedule.
2. Wash your hair less often
Washing your hair can be one of the biggest causes of frizz, especially if you are washing it every day or even every other day. To prevent this from happening, simply wash your hair less and implement a coconut oil and shea butter shampoo and conditioner treatment into your routine. If you do not have time to wash your hair, then simply use a dry shampoo.
3. Try an anti-frizz product with ceramides
Frizzy hair can often be caused by a lack of moisture in the scalp and strands. Ceramides are lipids found naturally within the scalp that can help to prevent frizz by providing the hair with a protective barrier against humidity. By utilizing an anti-frizz product, you can prevent your hair from becoming dry and brittle which will eliminate the appearance of frizz.
4. Apply shaving cream to your hair before drying it
Some people recommend applying shaving cream to wet hair before drying it in order to reduce the appearance of frizz. By applying shaving cream to your hair, you are essentially coating it in a protective layer that allows for less frizz to occur.
5. Deep condition your hair regularly
You should also try deep conditioning your hair at least once every week or two in order to provide moisture to the scalp and strands. This will help reduce frizz and tangles, which is especially important for those with curly or very dry hair.
6. Use a t-shirt instead of a towel to dry your hair
Using towels to dry your hair can actually cause frizz because the terry cloth type material can create snags in your strands as you are trying to remove the water from your hair. It is also a good idea to buy a microfiber towel which will help reduce frizz as well.
For more tips: how to get rid of frizzy hair.
Tips to keep in mind:
If you want to get rid of your frizzy hair, there are several things that you can do to achieve the desired results.
- Start by using a clarifying shampoo that will help remove all residues from previous products and prevent them from further hydrating your hair.
- Use a deep conditioner once or twice a week in order to restore your hair’s natural moisture and balance its pH levels.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner or a curl cream before going to bed, so you don’t have to worry about touching your hair while it is wet.
- Try different products until you find the ones that work best for you, because not every formula will work the same on every hair type.
- If you want to go for a “no-poo” routine, make sure that you choose a low-lather shampoo and conditioner that have natural ingredients that won’t irritate your scalp or strip your hair from its natural oils.
- Use a generous amount of mousse and scrunch your curls with your fingers.
So now you know the dos and don’ts of dealing with frizzy hair. With these tips, your hair will be smooth as silk in no time! No matter what type of curls or waves you have, this guide should help tame those tresses into a beautiful mane that everyone will envy.